Tuesday 22 May 2007

confused

A couple of us have planned a trip to Coorg over the weekend. A homestay was booked, every one was confirmed, travel plans discussed.....

I was yet to tell my parents about the trip. I think at the back of my mind, I knew my parents would disapprove and so I kept postponing it until the last minute, which was about half an hour back.

As was expected, they were none too happy about it and put their foot down citing reasons such as - if people get to know, it doesn't look good
- 2 boys , 2 girls. Unmarried. Overnight stay. Tch tch.
Now I'm sure for most of you, this might sound totally unreasonable and reeking of Mallu-Christian narrow mindedness and conservatism. But having lived in Kottayam for most of my life and knowing the kind of gossip and the way people interpret things, I CAN understand my parent's concern. So though I find it unreasonable, I do understand why they are worried.

Ever since I've come to Bangalore, I have not travelled anywhere around, despite there being some interesting places to visit in and around. And this could be such a fun trip. The homestay that we organised has a little river running through, kayaking, a night trek and even a safari. So its just plain innocent fun.

That's what I told them. But the moment they heard the 2boys2girls bit of it, they veto-ed it. There were no questions asked about how we were going, where we were staying, when we were going. Nothing. Just one big veto. That's what upset me. That there was minimal interest in my safety and more interest in my reputation.

My parents, and I , we've both been through a lot because of gossipmongers. Some of the gossip was just that. Uninhibited bullshit. Anonymous letters sent home stating that 'she is drinking even during the day'... Some of it was true. From the days when I had a boyfriend and did 'scandalous things'. So I know that it matters what people say and talk. I know that it hurts my parents and upsets them and indirectly affects the rest of the family as well. All of this I am well aware of, and I , for my part, try and not give people reason to talk.

So when I spoke to my mother, I was calm, reasonable and sensible and tried to explain it to them. I finally told my mother "what if I still went?". To which she said she couldn't stop me. I said, "Okay, I'll be leaving on Saturday morning, getting back Sunday night"

End of call..

I'm going to explain it to them one more time, like a sensible adult. And then if they're still adamant about me not going, I need to decide whether I'm still going to go ahead with the trip. I feel that if I go, it'll be like a coming to my own, like I've crossed over some threshold. As if I'm going to be alone from then on, on my own.
Which is all very scary, the chicken and papa's baby that I am.

For now, I'm going to sleep over it and tomorrow , after I talk to my parents, I'm just going to trust my instincts.

Sigh

Time for a smoke...

6 comments:

Me said...

I love that you are being so calm and undramatic about it.
"what if I still went?"
You are right, whatever you decide, you have come into your own, You are now a sensible adult.
Hope you have fun with whatever you decide.

Anonymous said...

If the conversation tomorrow doesnt go the way you want,it is not the end of the world.
Parents mean the best for you, always. Ofcourse its their interpretation of "best".But its a good intention.Just listen to them, however unreasonable it sounds,its not without some reason (known only to them, most of the time).

Im sure you have very cool friends, with whom you can watch south park screenings or go Painball-ing with over the weekend, even if Coorg doesnt work out.
Do what your conscience tells you to do, or else you'll have a lousy time at Coorg, and this trip cannot be worth THAAAT much.
"You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway."

Anonymous said...

hey I didn't know all this. why didn't you call me?

desi witch said...

i hope u get to go. my parents were also always super-strict. i had maybe 2 night-outs during my college years. i still resent them a little for it. i know they thought they were doing the right thing, but having had a few years distance from that time now - they did more harm than good.

personally, i regret all those things i didn't do because of their concern for what people would say.
that said, make sure it's worth hurting them, if you do decide to go.

(i'm playing a nasty devils advocate here!)

on another note - Coorg is gorgeous! part of my family is Coorgi.

Fireflies said...

hope you still go. the thing is gossip dies down soon enough... but you really should should go!!!!

Kochukandhari said...

wow..hard call to make, but yeah you should go.

If it's any consolation, a lot of people get anon lettters that are also completely untrue.