Sunday 25 February 2007

Nostalgia

As a result of an extremely heated and unpleasant conversation with moodymeaniemanager I was given a compensatory off last Friday. It was forced down my throat is more like it, because he made it seem like a favour he was doing out of the kindness of his heart, and I didn't want that. NO NO NO...

Okay, no more posting about work, am a little scared they'll find me out and fire me.. Yeah well, fire me you bloodsucking, inhuman , cockroach-eating ass**** !!!

I could use the Backspace button right now, but I like to live life on the edge !!!

Anyway, I grabbed the long weekend and headed straight home to good old unchanged Kottayam. Its SO SO good to be home. I feel so calm and rested and self-assured. I love going to see my grandmom, holding her soft hands, listening to her, listening to my parents and uncles talk. I don't do much talking when I'm home. I love listening. I wait for my uncle and my father to start talking about their childhood and the crazy stuff they used to do . Most of the stories , I would have heard atleast once before . But despite that, they never fail to amuse me.
Stories of their grandmom who believed that a shot of brandy was the cure for everything leading to several cases of feigned illnesses, a drunk 10 year old (my aunt) , staggering down the road, hurling abuses at passers-by ; stories of my father who very noble-mindedly decided to paint the furniture when he came across some paint in the shed and who ended up having more paint all over him and how my aunts desperately tried to wash it off by bathing him in kerosene ! ;

I wish Kottayam would never change. I know that this a rather selfish thought. I just love going back home and finding things just the way it was when I left. Pretty much. Well, there is the pleasant shock of discovery a Music World in Kanjikuzhy, a traffic light (one that actually works) .. but on the whole, things are the same, the bakeries, Hollywood (the best beauty parlour ever) , G-Mart , Anns Bakery, Dessert Mist....
And there's my granddad's place. The paddy fields, I feel so happy everytime I go there. I recall all the summers spent in the river, all the fishes caught , all the fights fought, bloody knees, the ravenous eating on coming back home after spending the whole day down at the thodu (river), playing SAT (aka hide and seek), rosaries said half asleep, late night dares , midnight parties....


Oh for a rewind option !!

5 comments:

Me said...

My mom comes from Kottayam and whenever we went for vacation, Kottayam was the town and Chengannur was the village. go figure!
Love your post...makes me want to rewind too

Fireflies said...

awww... now sunddenly i want to go to kerala too... i get these feeling of nostalgia very often when the cousins sit together and talk abt the madness we were up to there! and then comes my invitable statement, "Nidhi Nidhi. lets go to melpadom!!!!!!!!!"

N A R I YA L C H U T N E Y said...

Wow! Anns Bakery .blaah blaaah and half asleep rosary :) . I have experieced Anns Bakery and fully snoring rosary :). Nice Nostalgic Kottayam {Achayan} post :)

Jacquline said...

Hey there!! I am a native of Thiruvalla, and I would love to know where this Hollywood beauty parlor is, which you find so great...if you have the number of that place, could u please send it to my gmail account?? I am yet to find a good parlor, here, and I would really appreciate your help.

Do mail me at jacqulinegeorge@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Me too from Kottayam and now sitting miles away!!! Reading your post i'd love to fly back...