Friday 19 January 2007

Whine Whine Whine

I am sleep deprived. ...

Last night , by the time I got into bed, it was a little past 2 in the morning. By then, my cousin and her friend were sound asleep. A little too sound asleep. My cousin was snoring and it sounded like a slow train, a really slow train. It was so loud that I could feel the vibration on the mattress. I tossed and turned, tried to bury myself under the quilt, used earphones , all in vain. I tried moving her head gently, but that only made the snoring louder.

I feel terrible and miserable and unhappy when I can't sleep. I feel like some terrible crime has been committed against me . I feel like life is unfair and unjust and all the world is against me.
So, after much tossing and turning, feeling absolutely miserable and sorry for myself, I put my foot down. Enough is enough. I can't take this any more. This is my house and I should be able to sleep in my house. So, I took my pillow and my quilt , went to the living room and made myself as comfortable as I could on the sofa....

And then just as I was about to doze off (finally !) , my conscience decided to go on overdrive mode. What would my cousin think if she saw me sleeping on the sofa ? She would feel really bad, and feel like she was inconveniencing me. I really like my cousin (despite everything !) and I didn't want her to feel bad. So at 3 o'clock in the morning, I set the alarm for 5.45 AM .

And yes, at 5.45 , I promptly woke up, took all my stuff and went back to the bedroom and got into bed. At 6 o'clock , my cousin woke up and her stupid friend ( who has invited herself to my place and has no intention of leaving anytime) switches on the tube light. Doors slammed shut, bags opened, doors shut....

I gave up.

At 6 o'clock , I got out of bed (not that I really ever was 'in' bed) and brushed my teeth and took a walk to church. On my way back, this creepy middle-aged man , in a silver Esteem kept following me. He'd slow his car down, and with his passenger side window down, move the car at my walking pace and stare and stare and stare. Dirty glares, nasty looks - nothing helped. He'd back into every by lane, watch me pass by and then get into the main road and follow me again. I was determined to not let him know where I stay. Thankfully at the bylane, I saw my my security guard David waiting around. I stood there and talked for a while with him and I think this made creepy-old-guy drive away.

And now I'm at work and super tired and sleepy and unhappy.

4 comments:

manjadi said...

awwwwwwwww miss tarantismo, we're now moving into the category of people who neeeeeeeeed their sleep and obsess abt it. i understand the irritation. what if you meet perfect guy and he snores. what you going to do then.

Fireflies said...

looks like all of us value our sleep!!!

Anonymous said...

so weird...the guy in the car that is, but I feel for you on the no sleep angle - such deep, heartfelt feelings....

Tarantismo said...

M - I'll just wake up mr. perfect and tell him to SHUT IT !!!!

fireflies - i know, i know, what a coincidence !!

Beks - thank you !!! It really was painful..