Sunday 1 April 2007

The Great Gatsby

I finished reading The Great Gatsby yesterday. I had heard so much about it and was waiting to read it for myself. And I loved it, absolutely. The story is nothing spectacular. Tragic, yes and very revealing. But it's incredibly beautifully written.

These are some , just some, because there were SO many, of my favourite excerpts from the book.

"Anyhow, he gives large parties", said Jordan, changing the subject with an urban distaste for the concrete. "And I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties, there isn't any privacy."

Urban distaste for the concrete. Beautiful, that was essentially what it was all about.

"A succulent hash arrived, and Mr Wolfsheim, forgetting the more sentimental atmosphere of the old Metropole, began to eat with ferocious delicacy."


And 'ferocious delicacy', I can SO picture that.

"They were careless people, Tom and Daisy - they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made."


Its so smooth and lucid in the way its written. I'm definitely going to try and get my hands on more of Fitzgerald's work.

No comments: