Monday 22 January 2007

Yesterday, for the first time , I felt like a minority in this country.

My cousin, her friend and I got caught in the middle of a VHP procession , en route to my cousin's PG. There were hordes of men, shouting slogans and chanting , marching up the road, wagging their fingers at the cars . You could feel the tension in the air. The cops were obviously on high-alert and were vigorously trying to ensure that neither the traffic nor the procession went out of control.

I was huddled in a SUMO , with about 15 pieces of luggage behind us. I tried to look as unmoved and relaxed as possible , but all I was thinking was " Oh my God, am I going to be burnt alive in this vehicle? Am I ? Am I? Will my cousin's Hindu friend stand up for us and heroically try to save us from the mad crowd or will she abandon us when the mobs attack? Should I hide the little gold cross chain on my neck?"

It was all so scary and tense. I think even the slightest provocation, maybe even just revving of a car , and this mob would have gone mad on us. This was the first time I was seeing this kind of a mob and the first time I was reminded that I was a minority in the country. Having lived in Kottayam and a very cocooned 3 years in Delhi, I've never been caught in the middle of any communal events. I've never felt like I was a Christian in a predominantly Hindu country. I've never felt unsafe because of my religion. Maybe, technically, Christians have less to fear. But then again, once people are agitated , they become so mindless and are led purely by rage that they don't care about all that..

Anyway, it sure was a scary experience, and I hope that I'm never in that situation again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are safe and sound in the security of home now.It is proven through numerous studies that people in mobs behave more like animals.The people making up the "mob" do things they normally would not do because the crowd makes them anonymous; this anonymity, combined with the actions of the rest of the crowd, makes them feel like they can do ANYTHING the want.
But i was curious about why you would think that "technically, christians have less to fear".

Tarantismo said...

What I meant was, most of the time, the tension is usually between the Hindus and Muslims, and most often Christians are the "neutral" party (well, almost, though I guess, biblically and stuff, we're closer to muslims than to hindus) . The last time Christians were one of the parties involved was when the whole Pope-saying-things-about-Islam incident took place.
So , what I meant was that , since we are the neutral party in the midst of all the tension, we are probably the least likely to be targetted. But , yes , I agree, like you said, when its a mob on the move, there is no target per se. Just a bunch of mindless people
behaving more like animals...

Fireflies said...

hey, i was just wondering if all the ppl i knew in blore were alright. I have sometimes felt that fear, in completely different circumstances and to a much less extent. Im so happy nothing happened to you!

Achayan's Lokam said...

Glad to know that you are safe, Im a fellow Kottayam ite, the next time you'r in such a situation, say a prayer and Jesus will give you the strength, will keep you safe , no mob can touch you ,just trust in Him, its just trust and faith that He wants.

Anonymous said...

am sorry. that sucks. must have been horrible...and I hated finding out this was happening in bangalore...